Saturday, December 29, 2007

Breakfast Casserole


We always do Christmas morning breakfast at my parent's house and there is always a variety of things to eat - homemade muffins, ham, casseroles, etc. This year I decided to brave a breakfast casserole to take. I cook breakfast all of the time but casseroles have historically freaked me out a little bit...I was never one to have a bunch of food mixed together. I grew up a very picky child and some habits die hard even though I have broadened my horizons quite a bit as an adult. Anyway, I found this recipe and decided to try it. I wanted one that I could make the night before and just pop in the oven Christmas morning so I wouldn't have to get up super duper early to fix it.

Ingredients
1 pound ground pork sausage (I used ham per Tommy's request)
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes
8 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions
Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.
In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.

Pig Rating: The pig ate two or three servings of this so I think it was a hit with him. : )

Mrs. Pig Rating: I am not a big ham fan so I wasn't huge into this one, but I made it for my family so I figured I'd do something that they all like. This was okay though. Next time I want to find a casserole that calls for something other than bread though - maybe crescent rolls? It seemed to be missing that breading to me...

Recipe from www.allrecipes.com, picture from my kitchen

No comments: