Saturday, December 29, 2007

Banana Pudding

I had some bananas that I needed to use in something and when I asked Tommy if he would rather have banana cake or banana pudding, he said pudding. However, in his usual Tommy fashion, he said that he only liked "his sister's banana pudding". He always seems to only want his sister's or mom's recipes so I have learned to make several things like they do. : ) I have made banana pudding before, but never like this. This is his Granny's recipe so this is about as homemade as it gets. Sheridan, Will, and I whipped this up together one night and had a good time doing it. : )

This is one of those recipes though that has been passed down several generations so the measurements aren't all exact. When it calls for flour and sugar, apparently these measurements are meant to be heaping, not exact. Very heaping is what I'm told. : ) Also, I really struggled with getting it to thicken. I added some corn starch to it and that thickened it up quicker.

Ingredients
2 eggs beaten
1 c. sugar
2 tbs. flour
dash of salt
2.5 cups of milk (his Granny used evaporated)
1 tsp vanilla
4 bananas
vanilla wafers

Directions
Mix eggs, sugar, flour, salt, and milk together. Cook it on medium low heat in a saucepan until it thickens. Do not leave it unattended and continually stir it as to not scorch. Cook it until it thickens. Line a bowl with vanilla wafers. Pour some of the pudding mix over them. Add a layer of sliced bananas. Continue this pattern until finished.
You can top with whipped cream if desired.

Pig Rating: The pig is the one who wanted this exact banana pudding so that is what the pig got. : ) He really said it was good and he went on about how all the church ladies always talked about his Granny's banana pudding.

Mrs. Pig Rating: This was pretty good. Different than I am used to, but really good nonetheless. A little more time consuming than most banana puddings that I have made, but I will probably make this one from now on.

Recipe from Tommy's Granny via his sister and mom. No picture...the picture I took was horrible so I will just not even post it. You know what banana pudding looks like. : )

No comments: