Monday, October 15, 2007

Faux Jerk Chicken


Tommy and I went to Jamaica a couple of years ago and had such a fabulous time. One of the things we remember most about the trip is the tour bus ride that we took to Dunn's River Falls. On the way back to the resort we stopped at this random little road side shack/bar/restaurant. I do mean shack. Well, the guy cooking was standing over this grill looking thing saying, "We have jerk chicken, jerk pork, jerk goat, jerk this, jerk that..." and we thought it was hilarious. The hilarious part was when at that time a wild goat chose to cross the road. Uh...no way was I going to watch my dinner cross the road then become "jerk".

But, I do love chicken so I decided to try this recipe for "Faux Jerk Chicken" that I found on
http://www.allrecipes.com/. We will be having this for dinner tomorrow night, but it has to marinate for 24 hours so I just completed that part of the process.

I will update tomorrow night once this is a finished product!
UPDATE: We had the jerk chicken tonight with rice and beans. The chicken was just okay in our opinion. I don't think we liked the cinnamon flavor that it had. It was decent though...we both cleaned our plates so it couldn't have been too bad. :)

Ingredients

1/3 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 scotch bonnet chile pepper, minced (I couldn't find this so I used a jalapeno)
1/4 cup minced green onions with tops
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions

In a large dish, mix the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, sugar, thyme, allspice, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in the scotch bonnet pepper, green onions, and garlic. Pierce chicken on all sides with a fork, and place in the dish. Cover, and marinate up to 24 hours in the refrigerator, turning occasionally.
Preheat the grill for high heat.
Lightly oil grill grate. Discard marinade, and grill chicken 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.

Recipe from
http://www.allrecipes.com/

No comments: