Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Chicken with Cream Cheese Sauce


I love pretty much anything with chicken so I thought this would be a good one to try - cheese and chicken? What's not to like right?? : ) I liked this one okay. Not my favorite, but definitely a keeper nonetheless. I served this over brown rice and had a side of sauteed mushrooms (well, my husband did anyway...I can't deal with mushrooms just yet).
I think I will try serving it over wheat pasta next time - I am much more of a pasta person.

Ingredients

2 chicken breasts
1 can of chicken broth (or about 2 cups
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Crushed red pepper flakes (a good shake! Probably about 1/4 tsp. - you can add as much or as little as you like)
4 ounces of cream cheese (I used light)
1 1/2 tbsp. flour (I ended up adding a little extra to help it thicken up)
2 tsp. white wine
Extra-virgin olive oil
Cooked pasta/egg noodles/rice


Directions

Season chicken and cook in a large pan with some of the olive oil (medium heat).
Add the red pepper flakes and crushed garlic to the chicken. Cook about 1-2 minutes more, then add the white wine and 3/4 of the can of chicken broth. Bring this mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked (if you use thin chicken breasts or strips, it might only take 10-15 minutes)
Remove the chicken breasts from the broth and place them on a plate with a cover to keep them warm.
Mix the remaining broth with the flour. Add this mixture to the broth in the pan and mix well. Add the cream cheese and mix until the sauce is thick and bubbly. You may need to add some more flour to help it thicken - do so a little bit at a time.
I cut my chicken into small strips, placed the strips on top of a bed of rice.

Original recipe from Amber's Delectable Delights (or at least where I saw it first!), picture from my kitchen

No comments: