Sunday, January 20, 2008

Rachel's "Chicken Dorito"


So, I have seen a recipe for "Dorito chicken" floating around out on foodie blogs. I was pretty leary of this. I mean, throwing Doritos on chicken seemed a little odd to me even though I love Doritos and I love chicken, therefore I never really thought much about this one.

When my friend Clara asked a question on her blog this week about her readers' favorite proteins AND made them put recipes down (geez...so needy), I found that the "Chicken Dorito" made the list from our great friend Rachel. The recipe that Rachel posted is from her grandmother and it looked a lot better to me than a lot of the other recipes I had seen for this. So, why the heck not try it right? I'm always willing to try new chicken recipes to shake things up a bit. My changes are in red.

Ingredients
4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded (I didn't shred - I cut into strips)
Cheddar cheese, grated
2 cans cream of chicken soup
milk (1/2 a soup can’s worth)
1 can diced green chilis (you decide the spicy level)
1 bag Toasted Corn Doritos
(I only made 2 breasts so I halved everything)


Directions
Combine soup, milk and green chili’s in a sauce pan and cook until blended and warm.
In a 9×13 pan (or use a casserole dish) layer 1/3 amount of the Doritos, Chicken, Soup, and Cheese. Repeat twice ending with cheese on top. Cover and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

Pig Rating: The pig took his first bite and was like, "Eh, it's okay," but then he had a 2nd bite and actually got some of the "dorito crust" in it and he said it was much better. Plate was cleaned by the pig. : )

Mrs. Pig Rating: I think that this would be great with the shredded chicken and put over nachos. Now, of course, anything on nachos is good to me, but I think this would be awesome. I like it pretty well though I have to say. I retract my previous thoughts about Dorito Chicken now. Thanks Rachey : )

PS- the pictures of this suck. It's just not pretty. Sorry. : )

3 comments:

Nikki57 said...

I love doritos and I love chicken. It sounds like a match made in heaven

Rachel said...

Thanks for giving it a try. I think not shredding changes it up a lot. Mine is more like a casserole consistancy and yours looked a bit more soupy. ::shrugs:: I'm just glad someone made one of my (grandma's) recipes!

April said...

Yeah, I think you are probably right about that. I may try shredding it next time - I think it would be wonderful shredded and on nachos. Mm....thanks for sharing! :)