Monday, January 7, 2008

Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms




As part of my new "back on the wagon" phase (again, don't be fooled by "back on the wagon"...I have a glass of wine in my hand as I'm typing this), I decided to make some different recipes this week. I saw a recipe on Clara's blog awhile back that I though I should try since we like chicken and T likes mushrooms. And in my attempt to not make every meal include butter, heavy cream and pasta....

Ingredients
2 tsp Vegetable or olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 large garlic clove, crushed
1 pound uncooked chicken breasts
2 cups small halved mushrooms
1/3 cup chicken broth or white wine
1/4 tsp dried thyme
[NOTES: I used about 4-5 tbsp balsamic vinegar b/c I love the flavor.]COOKING

Directions
In a medium bowl, mix 2 tblespoons vinegar, mustard and garlic. Add chicken to mixture and turn to coat. Heat 1 tsp oil in nonstick skillet. Transfer chicken and marinade to skillet. sautee chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to platter and keep warm. Heat remaining oiland saute mushrooms for about one minute. Add broth, thyme and remaining vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are deep brown, about two minutes. Serve chicken topped with mushrooms

Pig Rating: He said this was okay. He said it was like something I would have made before I "became a professional chef". HA! Okay, brownie points for Tommy. : )

Mrs. Pig Rating: I kind of felt the same as Tommy. This was okay - the chicken was really moist and it was good, it just wasn't anything special really to me. Maybe I needed to add more vinegar?

1 comment:

CB said...

Bummer Pig didn't like it? Ah well... can't win them all. But next time when you don't like something don't say you got it from me! You'll ruin my reputation as an intermediate chef! LOL