Saturday, November 10, 2007

Chocolate Trifle


My mom insisted that I needed a trifle bowl as one of my many wedding gifts from her, and at the time I wasn't much into cooking so I was thinking...um, okay. However, now I am happy that I have it! I love how pretty desserts look in a trifle. We are having dinner with some friends and their kids tonight so I wanted something yummy and kid friendly. We have the kids this weekend so Sheridan actually did most of this on her own - I kind of instructed her and helped her with the presentation of it, but she was super proud of herself. : )

Ingredients

1 (19.8 ounce) package brownie mix
1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 cup water
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free)
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used light)
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (1.5 ounce) bar chocolate candy

Directions

Prepare brownie mix according to package directions and cool completely. Cut into 1 inch squares.
In a large bowl, combine pudding mix, water and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until smooth, then fold in 8 ounces whipped topping until no streaks remain. (A tip that I read and used was to use heavy whipping cream instead of the cool whip to fold in. I used 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, whipped it for 10 minutes and folded that in with about 3 tbsp. of cool whip).

In a trifle bowl or glass serving dish, place half of the brownies, half of the pudding mixture and half of the 12 ounce container of whipped topping. Repeat layers. Shave chocolate onto top layer for garnish. Refrigerate 8 hours before serving.

I'll update the ratings after we eat it tonight : )

Pig Rating: The pig liked it. I think it was pretty sweet though and he isn't a huge sweets person.

Mrs Pig Rating: AWESOME. :) If you like chocolate and sweet, rich desserts, than you HAVE to try this one. So good. It looks pretty, it's easy to make, and it tastes good.

Little Pigs Rating: They both liked it. Sheridan was ready to eat it the next day again : )
Friends of the Pigs: Loved it!! They had seconds and their kids loved it as well. They couldn't quit talking about how good it was. Success! : )

Recipe from allrecipes.com, picture from my kitchen

1 comment:

CB said...

omg. YUMMO! ps. giggling while reading "little pigs rating".