Monday, November 26, 2007

"Best Marinara Sauce Yet"...or so they say


I have really been wanting to try to make my own marinara sauce for something since we eat a lot of Italian food. I was craving chicken parm so I figured it was a good time to try out a new sauce. To this point I have pretty much been strictly a shopper who stares at all of the many varieties of jar sauce at the grocery store, but I was up for a challenge this time.

I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com and it is titled "best marinara sauce yet". I figured that sounded like a winner!

Ingredients

2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (I used crushed)
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup white wine

Directions

In a food processor place Italian tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped parsley, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
In a large skillet over medium heat saute the finely chopped onion in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the blended tomato sauce and white wine.
Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pig Rating: He thought this was just okay. He ate it and didn't dislike it, it just wasn't a favorite.

Mrs. Pig Rating: I kind of agree with the pig on this one. It was okay...definitely not a bad sauce, it just seemed to be missing something to me. Maybe sugar? Not sure...can't put my finger on it but I'll keep trying : )

Recipe from www.allrecipes.com, picture from my kitchen

No comments: