Thursday, November 29, 2007

Banana Cake - Happy Birthday Tommy!


Yesterday was my husband's birthday and of course I wanted to bake his cake myself rather than buy one. His favorite cake is banana cake and I definitely wanted to attempt to make one. I was a little nervous considering that my banana bread didn't turn out how I wanted it to. However, I asked some of my friends for their banana cake recipes and my friend Jamie gave me her grandmother's recipe - it did NOT disappoint!!!! THANK YOU JAMIE!!!!!!!!

Ingredients

1.5 c sugar
1 c sour cream
0.5 c butter softened
2 eggs
3 med-lrg bananas, mashed
2 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Directions

1. preheat oven to 375.
2. mix sugar, sour cream, butter and eggs in large bowl.
3. beat in banana and vanilla.
4. gradually add in salt, baking soda, and flour.
5. spray a 9X13 pan with pam, fill and bake for 35 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.

Brown butter Frosting
0.5 c butter
2 c sugar
2 tbsp milk

1. Heat butter over med. heat in a frying pan until delicate brown.
2. remove from heat.
3. mix in powdered sugar and milk.
4. pour over cake.

Pig Rating: It was the Pig's birthday and the Pig was impressed! He kept going on about how "really good" this cake was and he ate two or three pieces I think. : )

Mrs. Pig Rating: YUMMMMMM! I love banana anything and this cake was awesome! I think next time I will cook the butter a little more for the frosting...I got impatient but it still turned out amazing!

Friends of the Pigs: They LOVED this cake also. I love impressing friends : ) Thanks again Jamie!

Recipe from Jamie's grandmother, picture from my kitchen (don't mind that it's half eaten already at this point...LOL)

4 comments:

iambellaluna said...

I'm glad you guy's liked it! :) Awww. Your picture captures it amazingly well...I love that it's half-eaten.

Nina said...

Yum, someone brought a banana cake to Thanksgiving, but I didn't get a chance to try it.... Maybe I'll use this recipe to make one.

Michele said...

That cake looks delicious! I may try that too....Jamie -- thanks for sharing your recipe with April! ;)

CB said...

Picture is fab and even though I don't like bananas I almost wanna make the cake after seeing your picture. LOL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMMY! :)